Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Thousand Yeses.

Some of you remember my extraordinary weekend with Dr. Purvis.

One of the things that she spoke of that completely resonated in my spirit was the Privelege of One Thousand Yeses.

You see, our children from hard places--many times--- missed out on the season of yeses that children in stable, loving families get..Within the first few months of life, we shower them with YES!.

They cry, we pick them up.

They are hungry, we feed them.

They are dirty, we clean them.

They are scared, we comfort them.

Regardless of what the need/desire was? It was met.

Now, we all know that that season is short...but in that short span of time? Our children learn to depend on us for their needs. They learn that loving parents say Yes.

It's something we aspire to do with Marvel when he gets home. Give him  a season of yeses. Remove the temptations that lead to a "no" and respond quickly to meet his needs/wants/desires in a way that he understands that he? can depend on us. In any opportunity, we wish to respond with a joyful, loving Yes, teaching him that we will meet his needs. That we love and adore him. That he is valued.

But where my heart was truly gripped was as I related this season to our Father.  I can think of many times when I was in a season of correction. When I was in a season of discipline and "character-building".

I am not gonna lie to ya, those seasons are tough. They tug at our very selfish-nature and strengthen areas in our lives that we don't mind leaving weak and covered up.

For instance, I don't mind the bliss of *thinking* I have patience down to an art. I'd rather not learn it the hard way.

Humilty? Yah, leave that one untouched too, ifyadontmind.

And how about Character in the face of adversity? Whew, I break out in a sweat just thinking of how we learn that one!

But that isn't the way He works. We are clay in the potter's hand, being molded into the way He created us...pushing aside the things of our nature and leaning completely on Him.  It's not always roses and rainbows....

But He doesn't start in that place. Because, honestly, if He did??? How many of us would hang around while our character was being tested in the fire and remain strong in our faith of the One who made us?? How many of us would allow humilty to be taught and remain faithful if we didn't first have love and trust in our Maker?

('Not I' said the cat)

The reason we withstand the seasons of difficult answers, doors being shut, black paint on the beautiful murals of our lives?

Is because we trust our Father. Because He started with A Thousand Yeses.

When I was broken?

When I was lonely?

When I struggled with my self-worth? My value? My purpose?

He responded with 'Yes'.

He carried me when I was weak.

He sheltered me in the storm.

He showered me with affection.

He told me of my value and worth to Him.

He gave me 1000 yeses. Over and over. and over. again.

Until I was leaning completely on His strength. Until I could withstand the heat of the refiner's fire. Until I was sure He would meet my needs.

So that when those difficult times came? I could remind myself of the Father that held me through it.

I could fall back on the knowledge that He wouldn't leave me now..because He never had before.

I would hold steady in the face of adversity, knowing that He adored me.

And, He adores you, too, you know? 

He longs to be the one giving you a thousand yeses.. In even a greater way than I long to be the one giving Sweet Boy a thousand yeses.

And trust me, that is an immeasurable desire.

To be able to give my child the gift of 1000 yeses.

Will you let Him?



"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."  Jeremiah 29:11



“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."  Matthew 11:28-29

"Your promises have been thoroughly tested, and your servant loves them."  Psalm 119:140

"For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God." 2 Corinthians 1:20










3 comments:

Ashley said...

Great post, Ashley!

Cheryll said...

Love this! :D

Anonymous said...

I could not have written this any better! Beautfil and I wholeheartedly agree. Randee

Post a Comment