Yah, sounds crappy if you ask me.
But, on this--the first day of 2011-- I want to propose that resolutions? Aren't bad at all. In fact, resolutions? goals? objectives? Is all about how we "run the race"
Why do we focus our attention on temporal things. We focus on looking like models; spending our money on things that please man; collecting and owning things that have no meaning; and ultimately...just setting ourselves up for disappointment.
Because, just like C.S. Lewis said in Weight of Glory, "We were not made for here". No, we were meant for another place. So, why should we focus on any less?
Goals give us direction. They keep us on task.
“Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry." (Habakkuk 2:2-3)
"Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty." (Proverbs 21:5)
So, yes, throw out the window the resolutions of old!! Forget about trying to look like Heidi Klum, let go of the fact that you may never vacation like Paris Hilton, and owning a collecting with the likes of Donald Trump..well, why bother?
No, this year? Let resolve. Let's resolve to focus our lives on the destinies God has set forth.
Resolve: (r-zlv) To determine or decide in purpose; to make ready in mind; to fix; to settle on.
Let's resolve to stay on path of the purpose we were created for. Let's resolve that with every day, we do everything possible to please Him with our lives! Let's change what matters to what REALLY matters this year!!
* Spend quality time with my family..every week. Our quality time usually consists of worshiping together in the guest room.
* Take better care of my body (yes, this does include working out again..but is more in line with my destiny) so that I am healthy and strong to fulfill whatever God has purposed for me.
* Do a complete study of the life and ministry of Paul.
* Finish the scripture canvases for Baby Smith #1. I need to prayerfully consider what the third one will be...probably specific to his/her name.
* Be a better steward of what God has given me. Organization is key to a clear mind!!
* Love better. Give more.
* Get up every morning and go to bed every evening with God.
* Kiss my husband goodnight every night.
* And to practice the art of a focused life (scheduling my days).
So, what are some of yours? Let's start the year off right, together!
May 2011 be the year you begin...and end...focused on the main thing!
Happy New Year