Monday, January 24, 2011

I never do that!

I never look at the waiting children on DHS, or Rainbow kids, or any other "waiting children" site.

It's not that I am heartless. 

It's not that I don't care.

It's just that....

When you see that? When you look at the eyes of children slowly--but surely--aging out of the system?

Well..for me... I begin to feel hopeless.

And I begin to be overcome with sadness at the idea that--for the rest of their lives-- they won't have a mom harassing them to call. Or to come over for dinner. Or worrying if they're eating enough.

They won't have a dad to help them with buying a new car. Or to learn about the "art of grilling". Or to watch a football game with.

They won't have a place to come home to when the world is their enemy. They won't have champions for them, even when they make mistakes.

And I am overwhelmed. With grief for these children.

So, I don't know why yesterday, I happened upon DHS's website.

And I have no recollection of clicking the "waiting for a family" link.

I don't remember scrolling through the lists of children...

But I remember Elmer.

Elmer is 10 years old. He has sad eyes, but a mature smirk. He's wearing a suit, though I imagine someone else dressed him, he looks awfully uncomfortable. And a family hasn't found Elmer yet.

On my way home, I clearly felt God pulling me to pray for Elmer. For his heart. For healing. For comfort. I began to pray that a family would be urged--and accept the calling--to adopt Elmer. That their hearts would be soft to his healing process. That they would understand that his anger and difficulty loving, doesn't have anything to do with them, but is because of a life lived alone. That they would lean on God and constantly remind Elmer that God never forgot about him..and that even though it seemed like it took a long-time... God had never forsaken Elmer's need for a family. I prayed that Elmer would open his heart to this family and begin to trust in their affection and their protection. That God's redemptive plan wouldn't fail to be achieved in Elmer's life.

I can't explain it. I woke in the middle of the night with Elmer on my heart again. And this morning.

I don't know his story. I don't know what his situation is Today. But I know that, for whatever reason, God knew Elmer needed someone standing in the gap for him. For some reason, Elmer needed heartfelt, passionate, overwhelmed prayers on his behalf. God loves Elmer that much. To send strangers to his side.

So today, I am asking you to pray for this child. To pray for his heart, for his situation, that God would intervene on his behalf. That his family would answer the call. That he wouldn't remain an orphan one day longer than necessary.

That his tragedy would be answered with God's redemption.

Thank you for praying with me, today!

*Ashley Lou*

P.S. You can also pray for my ankle. I twisted it over Christmas and it still hurts!! I don't wanna get into *how* it happened. Though, if my little bro. was around, he would be HAPPY to tell you how I tripped over nothing, twisted it on my mother's rock walkway because I*insist* on wearing heels every day even though I am the most clumsy person ever! Yah, he'd have no problem spilling the beans on this one! ;-)

2 comments:

Erica said...

I will pray for Elmer. I twisted my ankle a few years ago doing the same thing. I was wearing tennis shoes. We were hiking, but it was on a flat stretch of land. It hurt for 6 months and wasn't completely better for a whole year. I went to the dr, had x-rays b/c we couldn't figure out why in the world it was still hurting. I ended up going to PT and getting some exercises to do and it finally started getting better. I'll pray that yours heals quickly and completely.

Ashley said...

Ashley, I love your sensitive heart! I don't want to look at those sites for the same reasons. I'll be praying for Elmer with you!

Post a Comment