Wednesday, September 1, 2010

20 Stupid But Interesting Facts From Gator

My sister can be SOoooOOoo obnoxious. And, since she doesn't read my blog I can say that without fear or reprise....so...um...momma?? mommy? mother? don't tell her! I beguvya!

I'm just joshin' anyways. She's pretty cool. One of the things that she does, is post stupid but interesting facts on her facespace...I found it obnoxious at first...but I usually do with Gator. Now, it's intriguing all of the things one can learn from such posts. I thought I would share them with ya'll since today has been virtually useless anyways!

1.  Spheno Papatine Gangleoneuralgia is the scientific term for an ice cream headache.
--Actually, it's quite possible she made all these up....

2.  Mark Twain was born on the day of the appearance of Hailey's Comet in 1835, and died on the day of it's next appearance in 1910. He, himself, predicted that in 1909, saying "I came in with Hailey, and I expect to exit with her also."

3.  A pig can cover a mile in 7.5 minutes when running at top speed
--Hmph...show-offs....

4.  The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the days of yore when the engines were pulled by horses. The horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how to walk up a straight staircase.

5.  In New York, it is against the law to throw a ball at someone's head for fun.
--which is why they suck at dodgeball, I assume.

6.  Ohio is listed as the 17th state in the U.S. but technically it's number 47. Until August 7, 1953, Congress forgot to vote on a resolution to admit Ohio into the Union.
--During that time, Congress voted on 14 resolutions for new toilets in Capital Hall.. I kid, I kid.

7.  If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months, and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

8.  The Sanskrit work for "war" means "desire for more cows"

9.  The saying "It's so cold out there, it could freeze the balls off a brass monkey" came from when they used cannons like ones in the Civil War. The cannonballs would be stacked in a pyramid formation, called a brass monkey. When it got extremely cold outside, they would crack and break off...Thus the saying...
--I'm pretty sure I got my mouth washed out a few times for saying this...to which my MOTHER now owes me an apology. I can't help it if I have a taste for Civil War history ;-)

10.  2500 lefties die each year from using instruments made for righties....
--The words "I told you so" come to mind...all you hata's out there!

11.  Peter Pan and 101 Dalmatians are the only two cartoon features with both parents that are PRESENT and don't die throughout the movie.

12.  FACT: Stewardesses is the longest word typed with the left hand.
--I can actually confirm this one...

13.  In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.

14.  In 1938 TIME magazine named Adolf Hitler "Man of the Year" citing him as a 'Lady Killer'

15.  Piranhas, when they have no food, become cannibals.

16.  Armadillos are the only animal other than humans that can get leprosy.
--That just seems like really bad luck for the armadillo......

17.  They [armadillos] also always have 4 babies at a time, and they are always the same sex.

18.  A group of unicorns is called a 'blessing'. Twelve or more cows is known as a 'flink'. A group of frogs is known as an 'army' and a group of Kangaroos is called a 'mob'.

19.  The Baby Ruth candy bar was actually named for Grover Cleveland's baby daughter, Ruth.

And finally,

20.  Studies show that if a cat falls off the seventh floor of a building it has a thirty percent more chance of surviving than if it fell of the twentieth floor. Supposedly, it takes eight floors for the cat to realize whats occurring, relax, and correct itself.
--It would take my scaredy-cat, Oliver, a million floors to relax and correct itself. 

This obnoxious list of random...yet somehow, so, so enthralling...facts was brought to you by Gator and Lou on this gloriously, rainy Wednesday. Enjoy!






2 comments:

Ashley said...

Great post of interesting facts! =)

Anonymous said...

Ashley, I am not sure I washed your mouth out for that saying! And I agree using the "wrong-handed" instruments can be deadly. I always called Gator, "little miss list of facts," because she has always done this.. Good blog Big Sis.....much, much Love <3

Post a Comment