Saturday, April 10, 2010

I'm Forgiven!

So, I used to pray something when I knew I had made a mistake, hurt someone, said something out of line, etc...I would always pray that God would take away the memories--that no longer would I even remember that I had made those mistakes...and He never did?! I thought it made perfect sense, if I am clean--if my sins have been washed away, then why not also wash away the memories?

But I still remember. I remember the smallest things, and I remember the "big ones". I never FORGOT my sins...


Over the past few mornings, I have woken up singing a line of this Sanctus Real song, "Forgiven" which basically says "I don't have to carry the weight of who I've been--Cause I'm forgiven". I kind of liked the song, I had heard it a few times on the radio, and it was catchy at least...but no massive revelations..and then for some reason, I would wake up at 4 or 5 in the morning singing that line...okay, so in the world of signs from God, I am OBVIOUSLY slow--no, I didn't pray about it right then. I thought "Wow, what a sweet thought" and I went back to sleep! (I did mention that it was before sunrise, right?????). But it happened again this morning (after sunrise) and during my prayer time, I started asking God, "What do you want me to "get" from this song?? Why am I singing it ALL the time??"


God began to show me that, in the realm of FORGIVENESS, it was never about "forgetting" your mistakes and shortcomings..but rather it was about understanding that even with those mistakes and shortcomings, that God said "I WANT her"....Sure, the devil probably countered with "Haven't you seen all her screw-ups, she's a wreck who can't watch her tongue, she'll never be perfect" and I can only imagine, with total devotion in His eyes, God saying "I don't care. I WANT her and I will do anything for her. I would even DIE for her". 


Our forgiveness isn't about us getting a "do-over" with regard to our memories and history. If we forgot all we had ever done, every mistake we had ever made, how much less would forgiveness mean? I mean, if I could look back at my life and see no mistakes...I might think I was perfect...then WHY would I need a perfect Savior? But I do. Because I know where I've been. "But here, in your arms, I know what I am--I'm forgiven!"


It's not about looking perfect. Not to the rest of the world, and not to yourself. It's about knowing that, even with those imperfections..that you don't have to carry the weight of who you've been. Cause you're FORGIVEN!


I've been listening to the song over and over this morning...soaking in this revelation. It's so clear. God may not let you forget, but Satan doesn't want you to LET GO...So, today, let go of your shortcomings and sins, and even when you are reminded of the places you have been, remind yourself of your forgiveness too...because you may NEVER forget and that's okay..If you forgot the power of your sins, you might also forget the power of His forgiveness.


I have determined that, if remembering my sins also allows me to be reminded of His forgiveness...then I will always remember them with joy! The grace, mercy, and forgiveness of God are far more powerful than the power of the enemy to hold me down with the mistakes I have made. So, next time you feel beat down by the enemy with the weight of your past, dance and shout, because the strength of God's forgiveness is bigger than satan's reminders!


Sanctus Real: Forgiven


Well the past is playing with my head
And failure knocks me down again
I’m reminded of the wrong
That I have said and done
And that devil just wont let me forget

In this life

I know what I’ve been
But here in your arms
I know what I am

[chorus]

I’m forgiven
I’m forgiven
And I don’t have to carry
The weight of who I’ve been
Cause I’m forgiven

My mistakes are running through my mind

And I’ll relive my days, in the middle of the night
When I struggle with my pain, wrestle with my pride
Sometimes I feel alone, and I cry

In this life

I know what I’ve been
But here in your arms
I know what I am

I’m forgiven

I’m forgiven
And I don’t have to carry
The weight of who I’ve been
Cause I’m forgiven

When I don't fit in and I don’t feel like I belong anywhere

When I don’t measure up to much in this life
Oh, I’m a treasure in the arms of Christ ‘cause




I’m forgiven
I’m forgiven
And I don’t have to carry
The weight of who I’ve been
Cause I’m forgiven!!




Til next time,
Ash

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I needed to hear this. I know I am forgiven but there is still the memories and the pain from my mistakes that linger. I continue to seek Christ daily and pray that I can forgive myself because He has forgiven me! This was so encouraging! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wow, your post is exactly what I needed to hear and even the song reminds me of the power of music and its impact of how GOD can use musicians lyrics to speak to people as well. Thanks for sharing this because now I will apply all that I know to be true.
Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved this blog and I have a story to tell as well. I plan on starting my own blog like you and giving back just the same. I pray it touches someone and inspires them as you have inspired me. Thanks and good luck with your adoption. I am praying for you
GOD BLESS.

Post a Comment