Tuesday, March 25, 2014

#Ashleys31RAOK recap

Saturday was my birthday (singing ensues...)

Several weeks ago, I had what has turned into quite the awesome idea.

I created a Facebook event, so it would be legit.

I created a #hashtag. Because of my ongoing adoration of all things #hashtag

I invited every.single.friend on Facebook....despite how annoying that may have been.

And I asked them only one thing.

Because you have all been so blessed by my presence on this Earth I kid, I kid

Celebrate my birthday by joining my mission to spread kindness. Do one...or as many as you want... random act of kindness RAOK on March 22.

And do you want to know what happened?

HUNDREDS of Random  Completely Intentional Acts of Kindness

People looking for opportunities to spread love and joy and kindness. Small things. Big things. Anonymous things. Face-to-face things.

And I was overwhelmed.

I mean. Seriously. Overwhelmed.

A small coalition. All over the country. Just being kind to one another.

We could really be on to something!!!

My personal goal was 31 different random completely intentional acts of kindness for my 31st birthday. One friend argued that if I counted based on the number of "touches", then probably the number was much higher...But nevertheless, my goal was 31 different acts of kindness!!

It was exhausting and exhilarating all at the same time. We were eyes peeled everywhere we went looking for any additional opportunity to spread love.

It was so perfect. I can't recommend any better way to spend your birthday!

And when you get your village involved?

What you find is that they are creative and boldly generous people...paying for groceries and meals for large families...giving flowers out at random, only to find that that person had just experienced great loss...seeing true gratitude at small gestures like bus tickets and a bottle of water...loving on each other...strangers...friends...neighbors. These are the world-changers.

It's a magical feeling.

Thank you to my friends, family, new friends, and strangers who all joined with me to show kindness on March 22nd. You have given me the most awesome birthday ever...so add that to your acts of kindness list!!

Here is the list of what my family ventured out to accomplish--along with several pictures (reader beware)
And we're off!
Thank you cards for military

Cards for hospitalized children
Coffee gift card for security officer
Money taped to vending machine
Gift for mailman
Coffee/breakfast for homeless
Donation to local mission
Change on the meters
Stuffed animals for traumatized kids
Cookies for police officers
Change at Laundromat

      Large tip and inspirational note for waitress
      Donation to adoptive family garage sale fundraiser
      Change hidden on playground
Quarters in gumball machines
Popcorn/$1 taped to Redbox
Bus passes given to people waiting at Bus stops
       
      Moved wayward carts to store

      
       Donation to Ronald McDonald House
Inspiration notes left in books
$1 left in children’s books
Donated $5 to boy scouts raising $ for camp
Flowers and notes on random cars
Notes of encouragement and prayer left on cars at the hospital
Gift basket left in surgery waiting room at hospital
Paid for the meal for the car behind us in the drive-thru

      Held the door open for people all day, whenever the chance was there
      GS cookies hidden at Library
      Left "You are beautiful" notes on mirrors in various bathroom locations
      Loaded groceries for elderly shoppers and returned carts for them  
        Made dog beds out of old pillows and donated to SPCA

   And this thing just keeps spreading! Love, kindness, generosity. These are the things worth making a stand for.  Thank you to everyone who made a stand for kindness this week!


In completely unrelated news.  I got bangs.

My short arms keep me from being able to jump on the "selfie" bandwagon.
You're welcome.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I LOVE this. Like really. LOVE. this. And my heart says wow. just. wow. For all the hearts and lives you touched, maybe right when they needed touching and all the interactions those people had after you touched their hearts were probably gentler, kinder, warmer, happier. Yep. You=awesome.

Jamie said...

I LOVE this. Like really. LOVE. this. And my heart says wow. just. wow. For all the hearts and lives you touched, maybe right when they needed touching and all the interactions those people had after you touched their hearts were probably gentler, kinder, warmer, happier. Yep. You=awesome.

Post a Comment