Wednesday, April 4, 2012

February 23, 2012

Written February 24, 2012

No matter what other dates become important in this journey.

Birthdays.

Adoption Days.

Saturdays. ;-)

February 23, 2012 will always be a day that causes me to pause and soak in all that God has done.

Because on Monday, February 23, 2012? I met my son.

We had known since Monday that our caseworker wanted to have a phone meeting with us. There were several *smiley faces* in the email. More than what might be considered 'appropriate', said the Husband.

We knew.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 was the day we would see our child's face and begin the process of bringing him home to us.

I had everything ready this time. Camera? check.   Cherry Coke Zero to celebrate? check.  Leave the office in plenty of time to avoid cursing every other driver on the road? check.

But still, as my phone started buzzing with the influx of emails that get sent in preparation of said phone meeting, I started shaking in anticipation.

What was our child like?

How old?

Boy? Girl?

I arrived and quickly set up the laptop and there it was.

The cover letter for our meeting.

Male.  Age 4-6.  "M" who's blog-name will be "Marvel"

A Son.

I was thrilled as thoughts of robot fabric and legos and football began rushing through my mind.

And terrified as I realized that boys stop needing wanting their mommas as they get older and traverse the path into manhood.

And even in the midst of joy? I was so sad to realize that my baby might already be past the point of needing his momma all the time.

Of course, as the week progressed, I was blessed to have several friends (mommas of boys) quickly squelch my fears by assuring me that all their boys were quite the "mommas boys" we all desire our sons to be.

Don't get me wrong. I want Marvel to grow up with integrity and character. To be the man of God that he was designed to be. To be a faithful and loving husband and father someday. To teach his family to love God and stand up against injustices.

I do.

But I also want him to live with me forever.

It's a strange paradox.

Needless to say, despite all my fears of having to make the Husband force my son to "Call his mother" from college..I was smitten...

Big eyes.

Big kissable lips. (At least until he starts wiping my kisses away)

The word from the orphanage and other families who have traveled is that Marvel is sweet and shy. Not as rough as the other boys are together but loves to be with them. One family even mentioned him cuddling up with them (be still my heart).

We are anxious to move forward in this process. Anxious to meet our sweet boy and tell him how much we love him and how long we've waited to meet him. Anxious to bring him home into His forever family.

Please pray for us as we wait for a court date and the final birthparent interview that preceeds that.

We are on pins and needles...

And it all truly began on February 23, 2012. Marked forever and kept safe in a special compartment in my heart reserved only for my son.

February 23, 2012

2 comments:

Randee said...

Such a great day! Glad you are back to blogging- I have [selfishly} missed you =) Now on to the next big date...court!

BumbersBumblings said...

Congratulations!! Sooo Exciting!!

Post a Comment